Cristina Blackwell Leaves Despierta America

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 7/30/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsIf you have not heard, the latest addition to the Despierta America show Cristina Blackwell has called it quits. This is definitely the quickest departure I have witnessed on the show.

Miss Blackwell started at the end of July 2012, which means she didn’t even stay six months! Well at least she hung around longer than the Tombola show.

Disclaimer

Okay, before I get into this post please keep a few things in mind. What you are about to read are my opinions. These are just some conclusions that I have come to as a viewer. I don’t expect everyone to agree. At the end of the day, I wasn’t there. Who knows why she really left the show. So please take this with a grain of salt.

Cristina Blackwell Mania!

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 10/16/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCaps

For being on the show for such a short time, there is no doubt that Miss Blackwell left quite an impression on the viewers. Well, I should say she left quite an impression on a “certain demographic” of the viewers.

Soon after she started, the capture community was quick to start creating content of her. Content was created on YouTube, forums, and social media sites almost instantly. It definitely got saturated pretty quick which showed that people were paying attention.

Miss Blackwell was very active on her Facebook and Twitter pages and seemed to be in tune with her fans. Univision even aired segments of long time TV personalities and news anchors welcoming her to the show. So the stage was set!

Isn’t That A Little Too Obvious?

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 10/1/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsOkay, lets get the obvious out of the way…Cristina Blackwell is an attractive young lady. There is no denying that. She obviously takes excellent care of herself by working out regularly.  Heck she even ran a marathon with Satcha Pretto. Naturally, her fan base is comprised mostly of men.

I first debuted caps of her on my Facebook and Google Plus pages and then later on the main site when I did the relaunch. However after about a month, something just wasn’t sitting right with me. I started to get a vibe that something foul was going on.

Initially they introduced her as a “Weather Reporter”, but once you got past her looks it became blatantly obvious that she didn’t have a background in Meteorology. I gave her the benefit of the doubt though. Maybe she was just nervous since this was her first time being on the National stage. She definitely showed huge improvements as time went on.  But, something still wasn’t sitting right with me.

Then I witnessed her doing other segments on the show and that’s when it hit me. She looked 100% more comfortable with the rest of the TV personalities on the couch. So why in the heck would they cast her as a “weather reporter”? This lead me to create the Despierta America After Chiqui post. If your reading this post, I encourage you to check it out. I go into more detail about things.

The Catalyst

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 8/22/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsThe catalyst for me came when Super Storm Sandy came rolling up the east coast. Now a real Meteorologist loves to study the weather and would jump at a chance to cover such an event.

But what does Despierta America do when Sandy was on its way? Did they put Miss Blackwell in front of the map to cover it? Nope, they brought in chief Meteorologist Eduardo Rodriguez.

Someone please tell me what the point is in having a “Weather Reporter” on a show and then not letting that person report the weather?  Miss Blackwell wasn’t absent, she was right there.  Then all of a sudden they pretend that Miss Blackwell is a TV personality.

From that point on, I just couldn’t take her seriously whenever she was in front of a weather map. If they were going to treat the weather as a joke, I would rather them totally remove the weather segment from the show.

Keeping It Real

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 8/6/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsBut lets get real for a minute. Did anyone actually listen to her give weather reports? Anyone…anyone except me? Heck No!

Chances are the only reason why you opened this post was to see the caps I created of her. Its okay…no shame in that. Like I said, she is one attractive young lady.

The truth is she could of been saying anything. The majority of men watching were focused on her physical appearance and whatever outfit she was wearing.

I personally just couldn’t stand to see Miss Blackwell go out like that. Like they were just using her to get more viewers.

I can see it now:

Backstage wardrobe: “Here Cristina, put on this dress for today’s show.
Miss Blackwell: “Umm… its a little tight isn’t it”?
Backstage wardrobe: “Naw…not at all…this is what is hot on the streets right now…you will look amazing”.
Miss Blackwell: “Umm…okay”.

Or, maybe it went down more like this:

Backstage wardrobe: “Here Cristina, put on this dress for today’s show.
Miss Blackwell: “Naw…I am wearing this dress instead”.
Backstage wardrobe: “Say what?  Wait how can you even fit in that?  Oh…Umm…I guess that’s cool too”.

(Note: the quotes above is completely fictional.  This was added strictly for humor purposes.)

However it went down, this led me to remove all caps I created of her from the main site and my social media accounts. That is something that I have NEVER done before and this site has been going since 2009.

I removed them not because I don’t like her, but because it was so blatantly obvious as to why she was even on the show in the first place. She was there strictly as “eye candy”. That just didn’t sit well with me and I didn’t want any part of that.

Chump Move On My Part?

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 10/31/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsOkay, now I know some people are probably like…damn YogaFrog…your entire site is nothing but eye candy. Why does this seem to bother you so much?

Well here is the thing, I have and will always run a clean site. I have nothing but respect for everyone I create caps of.

Do the woman that I post caps of look attractive? Well beauty is completely subjective, so it depends who you ask.  If your asking me, then the answer is yes.  However focusing on the physical has never been part of my goal.  This should be obvious when you look at my capping style.

I admire them as they work extremely hard to be the best in their fields. What you see on TV is only one part of what they do. So not only are they busting their butts behind the scenes and when the show isn’t on the air.  They are also working hard to look and stay healthy.  Sure some of them get their hair and makeup done by a professional, but that only goes so far.  It just upsets me when people only look at the physical.

I continue to laugh at people who visit this site and get mad because I won’t focus on “body parts”. YogaFrog…why don’t you show her legs more? Why don’t you show more body shots? I will NEVER go that route, so please find one of the many disrespectful sites that do it or create your own caps to get the shots your interested in. Women are not pieces of meat, they deserve to be respected.  That’s real talk right there.

Alright, now you might be asking yourself.  So YogaFrog, why are you putting up some caps of Miss Blackwell after you initially took them down?  Well, I am not really sure how to explain that.  I believe that what I stated above about why I took them down to be true.  But at the same time, I hate to sit on these caps because I am really proud of them.

Also this is kind of a send off post to Miss Blackwell, as I know I will probably never be in a position to create caps of her again.  Mainly I want there to be a place to find some high quality “tasteful” screen captures of her.  The stuff I have been seeing around the internet has just been very tasteless.

Why Did Cristina Blackwell Leave?

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 8/31/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsSo, why did Miss Blackwell leave the show? Word on the street is that she moved out of the country. Is that true? I have no idea. I’m not trying to pry into the “why” because that’s really not even relevant.

I personally would like to think that she came to her senses. Then just decided to move on.

Cristina Blackwell’s Future

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 8/29/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsI really hope that Miss Blackwell continues her TV career though. Although I didn’t agree with her doing the weather on Despierta America, I do believe she has a ton of talent as a TV personality.

She does a fantastic job at interviewing people and speaking with other TV personalities on the set. There is no doubt that her brief time on Despierta America should open a lot of doors for her.

Future Of The Despierta America Weather Segment

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 9/26/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCaps

Although a lot of people are sad that she left, some positives have come out of this. Paola Elorza and Stephanie Severino will be filling in until they find a full time replacement.

In a perfect world, I would like to see one of three things happen.

1. Paola or Stephanie start doing the weather full time on Despierta America.
  2. They find someone with a Meteorology background to do the weather, if Paola or Stephanie don’t want the job.
  3. They completely remove the weather segment from the show.

The other positive would be that now Miss Blackwell can basically do whatever she wants. Being young and having a large fan base should open doors to do more stuff. So she shouldn’t have to do anymore “pretending”.

Thoughts?

Photo of Cristina Blackwell on Despirta America | 10/11/2012 (1 of 1). By YogaFrogCapsSo what do you think? Do you agree with the points I made? Are you going to miss her on the show? If you are, why? Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think.

However please be respectful. The last thing I want to do is turn this into a Miss Blackwell flame war. Like I said many times…I have nothing but respect for her. I just feel she was put in a bad situation.

This concludes another episode of YogaFrog’s Random Thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Peace…

Check out these other cool articles:

Comments

1. Count Istvan says:

Good stuff YF. I don’t know enough about the subject to agree or disagree with you but it sure seems like with all the coming and going DA is a mess.

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Thanks for reading Count.

Yeah…its definitely not a good time for DA. Its like a sports team that lost 90% of their star players, got a new manager, a new coach, and a new stadium…

2. Kristoff says:

I enjoy reading these posts quite a bit.

indeed, turnover’s good for diners but not so much for news and weather anchors. On the other hand, I’m very much looking forward to more Paola again. I find myself basking in each new DA report of hers, since of course these days we never know if or when she’ll appear next. Hope to see some YFcaps while we have the chance! Thanks, keep on keepin’ on…

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Thanks for reading Kristoff. Great to know you enjoyed the post.

Yeah…I’m definitely happy to know that Paola will return for a bit. Stephanie has been doing the weather this week, so maybe next week Paola will be up. Either way, its confirmed as she announced it on her FB fan page.

You can bet I will be putting up some caps of her when she is on again. Stay tuned…

3. Manu says:

Well said. She came across quite charming and is obviously beautiful but her weather segments always felt really unorganized and awkward. The weather segment highlights the identity problem you’ve touched upon that DA has. Put on the serious chief meteorologist and you lose the viewers who want the silly pretty girl. Put on the silly pretty girl and you lose viewers who think its a joke. DA in general seems to still struggle in finding that balance between the fun playful segments and the more serious topic segments.

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Thanks for reading Manu. Its good to have you comment again.

Its good to know that I am not alone in my views. Most of the time I think I am. Unfortunately the amount of viewers who “want the pretty girl” are the majority and most vocal…

4. Olaf_the_Lofty says:

Very sensible attitude. I DO come here to look at the pretty girls, but it’s good to know that you treat them with respect. I used to run a site with pictures of sexily dressed amateurs, but I would never have got up to eighty different models if I had been thinking of them only as eye candy. I don’t like it when you see YouTube clips of these honeyfied ladies and there are comments underneath them describing them as “whоrеѕ” just because they look sexy. Desiring a woman on TV gives you no special knowledge about her sex life.

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Hi Olaf. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Oh man…don’t even get me started on some of the comments I see on youtube videos. Its really sad how some people can just be so cruel and ignorant.

5. Ninja Assassin says:

Was never really a big fan of hers really. You’d be surprised how many “meteorologists” on Spanish TV don’t have the credentials to be at the green screen. The networks are the ones trying to influence the male audience. Something about her lower body doesn’t look right either. Just an observation. Lots if women wear padding or are enhanced in some way.

Anyways I really respect your stance yogafrog. Even though I do at times look at these women as pieces of art, I do appreciate them for their hard work and personalities. Though some of these women dress to give a different impression I try to stay respectful. Univision will find a replacement for Christina and I’m sure she’ll be just as qualified. Lol

• YogaFrogCaps says:

What’s up Ninja? Thanks for reading and commenting.

Yeah…your right about that. However Miss Blackwell is the only “Weather Reporter” (HA) that I have capped that came off this fake. Jackie, Denise, and Paola all have Meteorology backgrounds. But yeah…I have seen plenty of so-called Weather Reporters…I just choose to not cap them.

Thanks. Nothing wrong with that man. Like I said in the post…these are attractive women. Its just people get caught up only on that. Then that leads people to make ignorant comments.

Exactly…some do dress in a “certain” way. But I either pass on capping them…or get angles that don’t reveal much (most of the time…haha).

Now I’m not saying I am totally against dressing sexy. There is a time and a place for everything. In my opinion when someone dresses too sexy in the wrong situation…it just gives off a bad vibe.

LOL…yeah man. We shall see who they replace her with…

• Michelle says:

Sorry to disagree but Jackie just has been doing weather for too long, but She does NOT have a degree in meteorology.. She is more credible though, due to her time reporting it..

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Hi Michelle. I never said Jackie had a degree in meteorology…just that she had the background.

Jackie is credited at studying meteorology at the University Of Miami. (That was sourced from Wiki so take it with a grain of salt.) Not sure if she has an actual degree…

6. Mary says:

The Wiki page for Despierta America reports that they are being cancelled, so perhaps she was just the first to remove herself from a sinking ship? She was definitely more comfortable with herself than her replacement, Stephanie. That girl is so nervous that she forgets to breathe!

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Hi Mary. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. This is the first time I have seen you post a comment…so welcome.

Hmm…well I personally can’t take any information on Wiki as truth. Anyone can go on there and put anything. I’m assuming your talking about this quote on the site:

“On October 22, 2012, it was announced that Despierta América would be cancelled and replaced with a new morning program taped in Mexico.”

I completely disagree with that as its not stated on any quality news sites. Despierta América is such a popular show that if something like that was really announced, all the sites would be talking about it.

As far as your Stephanie thoughts…I’m not sure about that. You have to take into account that this is her first time doing national weather. It took Cristina awhile to get comfortable…so I don’t think its fair to judge her this quickly.

One thing is for certain…Stephanie has 3 years of weather reporting…unlike Miss Blackwell.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. Not saying your wrong. Everything is speculation until something is officially announced…

7. ozkur d says:

Sometimes we think and wonder, but who knows . TV is mean to a lot of people its all about ratings and they don’t care who they knock down, step on or hurt. Keep it real….thanks

8. Gloria Moreno says:

I really don’t miss Blackwell on Despierta America,couldn’t stand the staff making fun of her when she reported the weather. To be honest…I miss her more when she left San Antonio, Tx. , my hometown. You are right, a lot of doors will open for her,she is a beautiful,talented young woman.

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Thanks for taking the time to read this post Gloria. Your feedback is appreciated.

Oh okay cool…so you watched her before her move to Despierta America. What was her role on the show she was on in Texas? Was it a TV personality? Or was she doing the weather segments?

9. ReinaBella Mejia says:

Wow I always thought the same thing . I’m surprised you kept or real I knew something weird was up with that. She didnt demonstrate no confidence what so ever. My husband said right away someone got her in.

10. Michelle says:

With all respect to Cristina Blackwell. She was a good Interviewer and fun tv personality but She was far from a meteorologist. She would even post on her Twitter account that She was learning meteorology for the Chief meteorologist Eduardo, and other meteorologist.
    It is Very wrong what many Spanish tv networks do, they use weather as Entertainment. Weather is NOT Entertainment and this became even more obvious when Super Storm Sandy came around.
    When I first started watching Mrs. Blackwell it was summertime in the Northern Hemisphere and she pointed out (while showing a picture of a guy in jumping in the pool, sent via twitter FROM CHILE) that is was very hot in Chile during “there summertime”.. I don’t think I need to explain this one.
    It is very disrespectful to the audience. Meteorologist go through a hard schooling to learn their stuff.
    I am sure there are pretty girls with the meteorology degree.
    Again no disrespect to Stephanie, but she also does not have a degree in meteorology.. It is just a matter of time before we see here doing entertainment interviews or hard news.
    They only ones I have seen with the degree in Despierta America is Eduardo and Paola.
    I believe Telemundo has more meteorologist. There is Irene Sans, Denisse Isaac and I have seen some new guy Ariel.. Something … (Sorry did not catch his last name) who are fully accredited in meteorology. Now this is a great example of well qualified meteorologist doing great and knowing what they are taking about.

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Hi Michelle. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my post.

I definitely agree with what you are saying. I really wish that they would take the weather reports more seriously. But the sad part is it all comes back to ratings. Its obvious that the majority of the viewers just don’t give a damn…and only want to see the eye candy. At this point, I just wish they would remove the weather segment all together.

As far as Stephanie…I am actually working on a new post about that. She does however have “some” weather reporting experience under her belt.

Yes. You are correct about Telemundo. I have featured Denise on this site. She definitely has a Meteorology degree. Her passion for weather really comes through…both on air and on via her twitter posts.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment…

11. Sir/Ma’am:

I’m not sure if this is the right source for reporting this incident, but I hope you can refer me to the right person to submit this complaint.

Today, I watched a show in Despierta America .
    The lady sharing knowledge was very racist and ignorant with her comments.
    I believe she ignores the fact that we have Hispanic people in different shades and colors. How can she suggest that a person with a darker completion can’t wear darker yellow colors. Where did she get her training from?

Did she forget that young Hispanic girls from the different colors she described were watching?
    Why would she create that type of sentiment and why is Dispierta America endorsing this type of behavior?

I felt insulted and discriminated publicly as if beautiful colors were only for white skin!
    This is 2013, please stop this madness!

Very Respectfully,

Mirza Henderson

• YogaFrogCaps says:

Hi Mirza Henderson. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Geez, really? Sorry to hear that. Before I address your comment, please know that I have no affiliation to Univision. I am just a long time fully engaged viewer.

After reading what you have said, I am honestly not surprised. I can write hundreds of posts about things that have upset me with the Despierta America show.

Sad part is, this show caters to an audience that doesn’t really care. DA’s target is young males who only want to look at women in tight outfits or see viral youtube videos.

To avoid getting upset, I have learned to just not take it seriously. They present themselves as a joke, so I look at them as a joke.

There are only two individuals who I take seriously on that show. That is Satcha Pretto and Maria Eugenia Payan.

If you would like to let your voice be heard, I suggest going to the Univision Corp website (http://corporate.univision.com/). There you will find a Contact page and you can express your feelings.

Good luck. Please let me know how it goes. Take care…